Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is a model in which software applications are supplied via the internet, so as a service. The users usually have a subscription to access the software, making SaaS ideal for business software such as e-mail, instant messaging and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and therefore also for a WMS.
What does SaaS look like?
With a SaaS solution you don’t have to buy, install and maintain hardware or software. You purchase the software online and pay for the use and updates. Below some characteristics of the SaaS services:
- Cloud architecture that is centrally maintained and secured;
- Access via any device with an internet connection, which makes access to information and keeping all data synchronous a lot easier.
- User-friendly web interfaces that are easy to understand.
- Functionality for collaboration and mutual contact, so that people in different teams or at different locations can work together effectively.
The benefits of SaaS
Companies that have switched to a cloud-based SaaS solution state many reasons for this. Some of these are more efficiency, better cost effectiveness, scalability, access to services everywhere and automatic updates. Below is a more detailed description of the benefits of SaaS:
- Low costs for set-up and infrastructure. No investments that have to be written off over a number of years.
- Accessible everywhere. The services are accessible from any device with an internet connection. This allows people to work from home, their production remains almost the same as in the office and less office space is needed.
- Fast implementation. Compared with your own IT solution, the set-up is ready in no time.
- Scalability. Access to the service is usually arranged with a monthly subscription for a certain number of licenses, so companies only purchase what they need. It is not only easy but also effective to be able to match the number of licenses and functionality to what is required at that time.
- Leading Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for availability and performance
- Regular automatic updates. The supplier takes care of all updates every week or month. So you no longer have to keep obsolete software up-to-date or offer support for it. In the case of CORAX an update takes place every 2 weeks.
- Timely improvements are implemented automatically by the supplier, partly based on user feedback. This allows the IT department to deal with more important issues.
- Security at the highest level that customers need, again fully provided by the supplier.